Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Dogs, Fish, and Gardens

Is there anybody in there??? Pardon me Roger Waters for changing the lyrics just a bit, but I have been awol for quite some time! I always think, "if I just finish this or finish that" then my life will calm down and be serene. Serenity has yet to show itself. Not that the activities of late haven't been fun. They have. But, I keep looking just beyond that horizon for a simple, uncomplicated life. I have a glimmer of hope that it will materialize. Stay tuned to this blog and we can find out together if that ever happens.

Now, what have we been up to. Well, several weeks ago, Jordan and I graced our local theater group for a performance of The Secret Garden. It was really quite good. I don't think Jordan enjoyed it as much as I. She teased me for crying at the end. I loved the book as a child and I continue to love the story as an adult. She enjoyed the book, but I don't think she understood the musical aspect of the production. I am sure she will as she gets older.

On Saturdays we have begun going to the dog's morning out. We take Zelda mostly, because even though she is a bit shy, she is not as aggressive as Cassie. Cassie did go with us last week and as one gentleman pointed out, Cassie is not being aggressive. She is merely saying in dog..."Get out of my space!" All that attend are dog people. There is something about that connection. The whole "must love dogs" thing I guess. We are in a bit of difficulty right now as the park where we meet has been made off limits to pets. We are looking for a temporary spot until the new dog park opens. I have been in touch with my local commissioner and hopefully with the efforts of other group members contacting the people in government that they know, we will soon have a place to take our animals.

And finally, we went to the aquarium. I had been wanting to go so much. It was wonderful. From the dramatic belugas and whale sharks to the ever so cute otters and penguins - every exhibit was spectacular. Afterwards we went to Atlantic Station for coffee and dessert. And then we swung by Hapeville to look at lofts that are being converted from an old school. In fact the whole area is to be revamped. And, according to a friend of mine, the soon to be closed Ford plant will hopefully be turned into an Atlantic Station-type area. If we are going to move, we had better do it soon before property values are overwhelming. If I didn't have Jordan, I would probably go for the loft. But, I think a single family home would suit us better.

And one more thought (does this chick ever stop talking???). More and more I want to get away from a "desk" job. Even though I work from home - which is great...I still want something different. For many years I have toyed with an idea that is now predominate in my head. I have always wanted to take several of my best dishes and do a weekday lunch delivery for local businesses. It would be classified as catering and I have pursued what must be done. Unfortunately, in order to procure this occupation, I must have a separate kitchen from my family kitchen. It seems the state and the county have some crazy notions about public health. It seems, so far anyway, that I run into a roadblock at every turn. I am not giving up however. It's a good idea and there are others who have succeeded before me. I need cash...the hard, cold kind. I am exploring avenues to gain this elusive wealth and will keep my dear readers up to the minute.

"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

2 comments:

lee said...

All I can say is that the Secret Garden mention gives me cart blanche to do this:

So long as Mistress Mary’s mind was full of disagreeable thoughts about her dislikes and sour opinions of people and her determination not to be pleased by or interested in anything, she was a yellow-faced, sickly, bored and wretched child. Circumstances, however, were very kind to her, though she was not at all aware of it. They began to push her about for her own good. When her mind gradually filled itself with robins, and moorland cottages crowded with children, with queer crabbed old gardeners and common little Yorkshire housemaids, with springtime and with secret gardens coming alive day by day, and also with a moor boy and his “creatures,” there was no room left for the disagreeable thoughts which affected her liver and her digestion and made her yellow and tired.
So long as Colin shut himself up in his room and thought only of his fears and weakness and his detestation of people who looked at him and reflected hourly on humps and early death, he was a hysterical half-crazy little hypochondriac who knew nothing of the sunshine and the spring and also did not know that he could get well and could stand upon his feet if he tried to do it. When new beautiful thoughts began to push out the old hideous ones, life began to come back to him, his blood ran healthily through his veins and strength poured into him like a flood. His scientific experiment was quite practical and simple and there was nothing weird about it at all. Much more surprising things can happen to any one who, when a disagreeable or discouraged thought comes into his mind, just has the sense to remember in time and push it out by putting in an agreeable determinedly courageous one. Two things cannot be in one place.


My girlfriend's daughter's bat mitzvah theme was "The Secret Garden" and we put this in the prayer book. I dig it. :)

lee said...

OH! Did you know that Frances Hodgson Burnett was a Christian Scientist? It's obvious from this quote, isn't it?